Trail Marathon Running weekend
17-18 August 2013
On the weekend of 17-18 August 2013 the club will be hosting its annual weekend of running. There will be five runs of various lengths:
- Trail Marathon (Sunday, 8:30 am)
- Trail Half marathon (Sunday, 8:30 am)
- Trail Marathon relay (Sunday, 8:30 am)
- 10km run (Saturday, 2:00 pm)
- 5km run/walk (Saturday, 1:00 pm)
The Wagga beach
All runs start and finish at the Wagga beach, with the exception of the half marathon, which starts at the mid-point of the marathon. The beach is a popular location for swimming and canoeing, with sand along the water's edge and large grassy areas surrounding. It is also a great spot for runners to gather after their run, to enjoy the free barbecue and cool off in the waters of the Murrumbidgee River.
There is plenty of parking at the beach. Here are driving directions:
- On the Sturt Highway in Wagga, at the traffic light intersection that is 50 m east of the railway bridge over the road (0.9 km east of the Railway Station & Baylis Street; the first traffic light intersection if approaching along the Sturt Highway from the east), turn north onto Tarcutta Street.
- Follow Tarcutta Street for 1.65 km to the first intersection controlled by traffic lights. This is the intersection with Johnston Street. Turn right onto Johnston Street.
- After about 150 m, immediately before the entry to the caravan park, turn left to descend slightly to a large car parking area between the road, the Murrumbidgee river and a walking track along the flood levee bank. Wagga Wagga beach is about 50 m further along the road, between the road and the river. The start/finish is at the grassed area beside the river.
View Larger Map
The Riverine Club
The Riverine Club is just next to the Wagga beach. It is where the Running Weekend dinner will take place. There is also some accommodation available at the club.
The Riverine Club is on Sturt Street in Wagga. Here are driving directions:
- On the Sturt Highway in Wagga Wagga, at the traffic light intersection that is 50 m east of the railway bridge over the road (0.9 km east of the Railway Station & Baylis Street; the first traffic light intersection if approaching along the Sturt Highway from the east), turn north onto Tarcutta Street.
- Follow Tarcutta Street for 1.8 km to the T-junction at its end, where it meets Sturt Street. The Riverine Club is on the right hand side at the intersection of Tarcutta Street and Sturt Street, with access through a gate on Sturt Street. Parking is normally available on Tarcutta Street or Sturt Street.
At 6:30 pm on Saturday the Riverine Club will be hosting a 3-course pasta dinner (including vegetarian). The dinner is open to runners and their families, and to members of Wagga Wagga Road Runners. The dinner costs $35 per person, including a glass of wine or beer. Tickets can be purchased as part of your race entry. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of Sunday 11 August.
Runners can recover from the Sunday runs with a free BBQ lunch at the Wagga beach, expected to start at around 10:00 am.
Riverine Club (Sturt St, Wagga). Stay in the historic Riverine Club (shared bathrooms) just 300 meters from the start/finish line. Rooms are limited, so allocation is on a first-come basis. Rooms available are (i) either queen bed or twin bed rooms, $90/night; (ii) double bed rooms, $80/night. An additional bed can be added to a room for $15. The club provides late check out to shower and pack after the run. Book online or via the Entry Form.
Boulevarde Motor Inn (305 Edward St, Wagga). About 2 km from the start/finish line. Continental breakfast can be served to rooms the night before and late checkout provided (Tel: 02 69255388).
Other hotels/motels can be found through the Wagga Wagga Tourism Information Office, Tarcutta Street, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650: Website www.waggawaggaaustralia.com.au Tel: 1300 100122. Email: email@example.com.
Supporters and sponsors
- Forest Hill Rural Fire Brigade
- Graham Spokes Optometry
- Crown Lands
- Oasis Regional Aquatic Centre
- The Athlete's Foot
- The Riverine Club
- Wagga Wagga City Council
- Wagga Wagga Road Runners
- 2AAA FM Community Media